Safety Tips for Buyers¶
- Insist on inspecting the product/a warranty before buying it
- Meet the seller in a public place
- Inquire about availability of delivery before you make your purchase
- Only make the payment upon receipt of the product
Safety Tips for Sellers:¶
- Ensure you upload an accurate image of the item
- Ensure you list an active phone number and email address
- Ensure your phone remains on, in order to receive calls from any potential buyers
- Beware of spam messages
- Ensure you meet the buyer in a public place
- Ensure you receive your payment before releasing the good or service
How to identify potential fraud¶
- Check out the product and price – is it reasonable or too good to be true?
- Are you being asked to pay via unknown payment systems, wire transfer or via upfront payment?
- Is the seller trying to prove the authenticity without being asked?
- Is the seller unwilling to answer relevant questions, or not answering his/her phone?
- Is the seller unwilling to use traceable transport methods?
If you get confused when purchasing online, dig around the Internet for more information and advise from reputable sources. Ignorance is expensive. Remember that.